Outdoor dining resumes at California restaurants
California has ended all stay-at-home orders starting Jan. 25 and the toughest business restrictions have been lifted, Gov. Gavin Newsom said Monday, paving the way for outdoor dining across the state. .
Regional stay-at-home orders affecting most of the state were announced Dec. 3 as available hospital beds in intensive care fell below 15%. This meant restaurants could only offer take-out and delivery services – the toughest dining restrictions in the country.
But the four-week capacity of intensive care in every region of the state is now at 15% or more, signaling the end of those orders, as well as a curfew prohibiting non-essential activities between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. morning.
Los Angeles officials, who imposed outdoor dining restrictions even earlier on Nov. 25, said they would move to allow outdoor dining later this week, according to a report from the Los Angeles Times. .
The Times quoted Los Angeles County Supervisor Hilda Solis as saying the county would “basically align with the state,” including allowing outdoor dining.
The restrictions had sparked an outcry in Southern California, including some operators in Orange County, just south of Los Angeles, refusing to stop serving outdoors.
Restaurants in San Diego, just south of Orange County, won a temporary right to stay open after suing the county, but that was overturned last week.
Meanwhile, in New York, where indoor restaurants were closed on Dec. 11 as hospitalizations rose, those restrictions remained in place, even as Governor Andrew Cuomo said he would lift further restrictions. , although he did not specify which ones.
New York restaurants outside the city are allowed to offer indoor dining at 50% capacity, but Cuomo said the city was an outlier, due to its high population density.
“Indoor dining in New York is a New York-specific condition and we don’t anticipate any changes at this time,” he said at a press conference on Monday.
The city’s restaurant trade association, the NYC Hospitality Alliance, expressed outrage over the continued restrictions and said it would continue to seek legal redress against the restrictions.
“Governor Cuomo’s endless restrictions that keep indoor dining closed in New York restaurants, while keeping them open in the rest of the state where infection and hospitalization rates are higher than in New York, are discriminatory and destroy the livelihoods of small businesses. owners and workers,” NYC Hospitality Alliance executive director Andrew Rigie said in a statement. “Several lawsuits have been filed to reopen indoor restaurants in New York City and we are exploring all additional legal options on behalf of the city’s restaurant industry to ensure fair treatment and enforcement of the governor’s orders. “
Contact Bret Thorn at [email protected]
Follow him on Twitter: @foodwriterdiary